- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 4 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- March 31, 2016
- 4 cups
- pumpkin puree
Full flavored porcini and cremini mushrooms highlight this thick and earthy pumpkin soup recipe, making it the perfect meal for a blustery fall or winter day. The dried porcini mushrooms are rehydrated, which creates a rich tasting broth that further enhances the overall earthiness of the dish. Fresh herbs including rosemary, sage, and thyme brighten the overall savory flavors of the pumpkin soup.
- Prepare the following ingredients:
1.5 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
1 1/2 cups boiling water
Olive oil cooking spray
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
1 1/2 cup diced onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs. minced fresh rosemary
1 1/2 tbs. minced fresh sage
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning
1/2 cup marsala wine
32 ounces organic, low-sodium vegetable broth
4 cups organic pumpkin puree, about 2 standard size cans
Garnish: fresh sage leaves or pumpkin seeds
- Place the porcini in a bowl and cover with the boiling water. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Coat a large heavy bottom saucepan with olive oil cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. Add the cremini mushrooms, onion, garlic, rosemary, sage, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook while stirring until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the marsala, vegetable broth, and pumpkin puree. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Line a hand-held strainer with a coffee filter and pour the porcini mushrooms and liquid through it allowing the liquid to strain into the soup. Remove the filter and rinse the porcini under cold water to remove any residual sand and grit. Chop the porcini and transfer to the soup.
- Heat through and serve. Garnish with sage or pumpkin seeds.